Saturday, July 14, 2012

Billy Squier "Rock Me Tonite".....Worst Video of all Time?

I'm reading a great book. I Want my MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music VIdeo Revolution by Craig Marks + Rob Tannenbaum.

I heard about it on a podcast I love, "How Was Your Week?" by Julie Klausner who is probably one of the few people who can make me laugh out loud, alone, while running.

Anyway it's a great book, from the inception of MTV, the back door deals, and just the gestalt of the thing, how it changed the industry etc etc. It's also an oral history, which I love. Oral histories are the best, from Edie by Jean Stein + George Plimpton, to Please Kill Me (Legs McNeil + Gillian McCain) and all Studs Terkels's work.

There is a whole chapter dedicated to the video that many call The Worst Ever, credited with jettisoning a singing career and disgracing everyone associated with it. I'd never heard of it although the song is familiar. I figured it would be funny-ish but it's fucking hilarious.



No comments:

Post a Comment